The Schumann museum in Zwickau was founded on the occasion of Robert Schumann’s 100th anniversary in 1910. Four years later the city of Zwickau bought Schumann’s birthplace at the centrally located Hauptmarkt for which Ernst Rietschel had already created a relief medallion back in 1860. With respect to Schumann’s 125th anniversary the room of Schumann’s birth was made publicly available as a memorial room and the staircase in front of it was equipped with a newly created Schumann bust by Edmund Schorisch. But only in 1955 the decision was made to completely host the Schumann museum, which until then had its place at the König-Albert-Museum (today known as Kunstsammlungen Zwickau– Max Pechstein Museum), at Schumann’s birthplace and appropriately adapt the building on the occasion of the memorial year 1956. However, after the beginning of the construction work it became necessary to reconstruct the building, not least because of damages caused by a flood in the inner city of Zwickau in 1954. The Robert Schumann House opened on July 22, 1956 and is considered to be the first newly-constructed museum building of the former GDR. The building as well as the interior design are listed as historical monuments.